It’s funny…we spend a lot of time growing up wishing we were older. I mean it’s no fun being a kid right? The older kids and grown ups get to have all the fun. We want to grow up so we can do all these things too.
When we’re 10 we want to be 13 so we can be a teenager, when we’re 13 we want to be 16 so we can drive, then 19 so we can drink, then 21 so we can drink in the States, go away to school and live on our own or maybe to just have more “freedom”.
We want to grow up to reach a destination, instead of enjoying where we are right at this moment. We want to speed up cause things are too slow. We want money and riches, fame and success, instead of just enjoying the damn ride – the journey. The problem is, when we find out that life isn’t as easy as initially advertised, it can get us down or put us on a path that maybe we weren’t supposed to be on and for that matter don’t really know how to get off.
I was like this in my youth. I wanted all of the items I outlined above. I could never understand why we lived in the country. “There’s never anything to do”, “there’s no excitement” (of course we made our own, but that’s another story completely), I remember thinking in my teenage years.
As soon as I was able, I was moving to somewhere amazing! Somewhere with ALL the action. Somewhere like Toronto. I never quite understood why my parents – whom I love dearly – would live in the middle of “no-where” – or so I thought. Well did I have much to learn…little did I know and have only realized in my late twenties, my folks are pretty smart peeps afterall. Come to think of it, I think they had it right all along..
Now in my thirties, I’m finally realizing what life is all about. Here is a short list of some of the things I’ve learned along the way. Maybe you’ve had some similar thoughts?
- TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF: Take care of yourself and your body for it is truly the most magnificent machine you’ll ever have the privilege of using – even if we only know a tenth of its capabilities. Eat healthy, hole, organic foods – grow your own if you can and learn to cook. Foods such as lean cuts of meat, poultry and fish, tons of vegetables and fruits while staying away from grains, dairy and soy products as well as anything from a box or can.
If something isn’t right with the way you feel whether it is sleep, energy, digestion, or structural, do something about it. Don’t ignore the problem until it is too late. IT ONLY MAKES THINGS WORSE
MOVE your body. Train with weights (my favourite and I’d include this as a foundation for any of the other choices), do pilates, yoga, sprint, jump, play hockey or soccer. Challenge what your body can do. You’ll be surprised at what will happen if you push it continuously. The more I learn about the body, the more astonished I am at the things we are capable of with such ease.
- GROW: Read, take courses, travel, go inside and learn about yourself, study people, places or things. If you aren’t growing, you are dying. If you don’t push yourself to expand and grow, if you don’t push your body physically, your mind mentally or emotionally, you will never know how truly amazing you are and what you could have accomplished. YOU ARE CAPABLE OF SO MUCH MORE THAN YOU THINK.
- TRAVEL AND RELAX: Work will always be there. I remember when I first started my career and went away for the first time. I was worried that my clients might not be there when I got back. I was worried about the money I’d be spending on the trip and not making while away from work during that time. Guess what? Every time I came back things picked right back up where they left off. Enjoy your life! It is short. Never have people on their death bed cited “I wish I would have worked more” as a regret. GET OUT THERE AND LIVE YOUR LIFE.
- DO WHAT YOU LOVE: You do have to work sometimes so it might as well be something you love so it doesn’t seem like work. Helping others along the way, giving from your heart to make someone else’s day or life a little brighter, a little better, THIS I truly believe is why we were put here. If you find yourself in a rut and are discouraged getting up for work every day. Ask yourself why? Ask; “what would I rather be doing?” Then make a plan and go out and make it happen. I know this is easier said than done, but if you have a plan and take action toward it every day, IT WILL HAPPEN. I’ve seen literally dozen’s of people change careers over the years and begin doing what they love. DON’T BE AFRAID. TAKE ACTION AND CHANGE YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES – YOU ARE GREATER THAN ANY OF THEM.
- EXPAND YOUR MIND: Expand your mind and your perceived limitations. If you think you are stressed out all the time – you are. If you think you’re always in debt – you are. If you think it will never happen, it’s not possible and this sucks it’s too hard – guess what? You’re right about that too.
If you think you’re Universe is just you in your basement and you don’t have an effect on other people and their lives and “what you see” – with the physical eye – “is what you get” – I bet you know what I’m going to say – You got it! You’re right.
If, on the other hand, you expand your thoughts of what’s possible. EVERYTHING BECOMES POSSIBLE. If your Universe is everything and you are of the Universe then you are apart of everything. You have access to everything. You can do, be and have anything you’ve ever wanted. We are so much more then we perceive with our two eyes. OPEN UP YOUR MIND AND BECOME THAT WHICH YOU WERE MEANT TO BE
- MUST CREATE BALANCE: If you are always going at mock 1 with your hair on fire you are bound to crash and burn. I was like this for a long time myself. GO, GO, GO all the time. Work all the time, train all the time, never stopping to take a breath. I never knew how to slow down and I developed quite severe anxiety as a result – something I see in many people these days.
Instead of succumbing to it, I worked on balance. I tightened my nutrition and focused on balancing my brain neurotransmitters through supplementation. I worked on creating more Yin (slowing elements) in my life. Meditation each day – for up to an hour – along with listening to Classical music are two things that I’ve incorporated. They help to put you in the Alpha Brain Wave state – present in deep relaxation and heightens imagination, visualization, memory, learning and concentration as well as creates a gateway to your subconscious mind.
When I’m tired, I sleep, if I feel overworked, I relax or take a day off. I travel when I feel too overwhelmed. My anxiety…gone. COINCIDENCE? FIND WAYS TO ACHIEVE BALANCE IN YOUR LIFE.
- CONNECTION; Connect with people. If you don’t know how, learn. If your “device” (in this day and age) is your crutch, get rid of it and force yourself to connect with people. Being with Family and friends and having that human connection is really what life is all about. Learn to Let go of the past and allow yourself to love again. Find someone that loves you as much as you love them. Someone to enjoy and share your life with. Someone who you’ll know you can count on and will always be there. LIFE IS TOO SHORT. DON’T SETTLE FOR LESS
#love #life #connection #health #expandyourmind #wellness #fitness #4Pillars #healing #emotional #intellectual #physical #spiritual